Condé Nast Traveler’s 2017 Readers’ Choice Awards loved the Ocean State this year
Rhode Islanders already know that we have some of the best beaches and luxury hospitality groups in New England, but every once in a while, it’s nice to see that travelers do appreciate the attractive parts of the state.
For the most part—and little surprise—Newport and Watch Hill stole the show this year for Rhode Island.
Here are the categories where Lil’ Rhody made the cut:
Cities, United States, Top 15 Small Cities
Resorts, United States, Top 30 New England
7. Weekapaug Inn, Westerly >
13. Ocean House, Westerly >
Hotels, United States, Top 40 New England
5. The Chanler at the Cliff Walk, Newport
8. The Break, Narragansett*
13. Castle Hill Inn, Newport
19. Forty 1 North Hotel Marina Resort, Newport
26. Watch Hill Inn, Watch Hill >
27. Hotel Viking, Newport
30. Grace Vanderbilt, Newport
32. The Dean Hotel, Providence
37. The Attwater, Newport*
Top 10 Domestic Airports
* The Attwater and The Break belong to Lark Hotels, a boutique hotel chain mainly based in New England. The group has a third property in Rhode Island—Gilded, located on Brinley Street in Newport. I stayed there last year for Salve Regina University’s annual Governor’s Ball and fell in love
> Watch Hill Inn, Weekapaug Inn and the Ocean House belong to the Ocean House Management Collection (OHM). The properties are in close proximity to each other, but each property retains its own character. I’ve visited the Ocean House and the Watch Hill Inn a few times while relatives were staying for the summer and once for Christmas—the OHM experience meets the incredibly luxurious standards.
It was fun poring through the score of hotels, resorts and destinations for the Condé Nast Traveler 2017 Readers’ Choice Awards. I recognized a few other places on the list from Connecticut, New England and, of course, Paris. With so many boutique hotels and resorts getting renovations or entering the market, it will be interesting to see how the rankings will add up in 2018.
For the complete list of this year’s Readers’ Choice Award winners, pick up the September 2017 copy of Condé Nast Traveler magazine.